- 1 cup whole-wheat country bread, cubed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, divided
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chives (or green onions), minced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut 1 tomato in half. Working over a large bowl, shred both halves using the large holes on a box grater. Discard the skin. Add mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), vinegar, garlic powder and pepper; whisk to combine.
- Chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, romaine and croutons to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY