Recipe: Apple Pie Bites on a Stick
- 1 large red delicious apple, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves, or all-spice
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 package of refrigerated crescent roll pastry (i.e. Pillsbury)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Icing Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp water or milk
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, add in brown sugar, corn starch and the spices. Mix well, until thoroughly combined
- Add the chopped apple to the sauce pan, mix well. Continue cooking over medium heat (keeping mixture on a low simmer) until the apples are tender; roughly 5-6minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- Remove the crescent roll dough from the packaging. With a sharp knife, slice dough log into 10 pieces of equal size.
- Dust your work surface with flour and, one dough section at a time, roll pieces into a flat disc. (Note: When rolling into a disc, ensure that the center of the disc is thicker than the perimeter — as you do not want the perimeter to be “bulky” once you begin forming the apple pie bites).
- Once all dough sections are rolled-out, prepare to begin assembling the pie bites.
- Spread a thin layer of softened cream cheese onto a dough disc, place a heaping tsp of your filling into the center of the dough disc.
- Gather up the edges (Note: wetting your fingertips may help the dough edges gather, and stay together more easily).
- Place on a greased baking sheet, and repeat with the remainder of the dough discs.
- Set oven to 350degrees.
- Prepare Topping: Melt 1 tbsp butter, set aside. In a separate bowl, combine sugars and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the assembled apple pie bites with the melted butter.
- Dip the tops of the apple pie bites in the cinnamon+sugar mixture; place pie-bites back on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17minutes, or until the pie balls are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set on cooling rack, allowing the pie-bites to cool completely.
- Add water (or milk), 1 tbsp at a time, to the confectioner’s sugar. Mix well, until a thick paste forms.
- Drizzle icing over-top of the cooled apple pie bites.
- Skewer the pie-bites and serve.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of silverrock on instructables.com / CC BY-NC-SA