Recipe: Lemon Broccoli Fettuccini
- ½ lb. whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 (12 oz.) package of broccoli
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 tsp. grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- For the dessert:
- 2 peeled, diced apples
- 1 diced mango
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low fat granola
- vanilla ice cream
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Add broccoli, carrots and sweet onion to pasta during last 3 minutes of cooking. When fettuccine and broccoli are cooked, drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water; set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 ½ –2 minutes. Add chicken and pasta water, cook until heated through. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- Toss chicken mixture with pasta, vegetables and Parmesan; serve immediately.
- Bonus dessert:
- Divide 2 peeled, diced apples; 1 diced mango and 1 teaspoon cinnamon among 4 glass custard cups; place 1 tablespoon of orange juice in each and microwave on high until fruit is bubbly and apples are tender; top each cup with 2 tablespoons low-fat granola and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Produce for Kids