Jump to recipe
Turon de Saba – Filipino Deep Fried Caramalized Plantains
- 12 pieces ripe plantain, cut into lengthwise
- Spring rolls or lumpia wrappers
- brown sugar, spread on a plate
- 1/2 cup brown sugar for cooking
- oil for deep frying
- Roll plantains in sugar then arrange 2 pieces of coated plantains in the middle of the wrapper.
- Wrap and roll the wrapper, use a bit of water to seal the edges.
- In a frying pan, heat oil deep enough that wrapped banana is half-submerged.
- When the oil is hot enough, sprinkle and spread sugar in the pan.
- Add wrapped plantains, deep fry until golden brown and crisp. Flip to coat evenly.
- Make sure the wrapped plantains is coated with caramelized sugar. Add more sugar if needed.
- Drain on paper towel then serve.
Photo: Goddess of Scrumptiousness / CC BY-ND