Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars
- 2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, very cold & cubed
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh or concentrated lemon juice (approximately juice of 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the first 3 ingredients into a food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until the butter is pea-sized.
- Pour this crust mixture into a sprayed 9? x 13? baking pan.
- Place a piece of wax paper over the mixture and press until even and firm. Tip: Cover with wax paper (to keep it off your hands) and press until even and firm.
- Place in a preheated 350 degrees F oven and bake for 15 minutes. Note: Crust will not be completely baked.
For the filling:
- Place the remaining ingredients, except for the confectioners sugar, into a mixing bowl. Tip: Always zest the lemon before juicing them, it’s difficult to zest lemons once they are juiced.
- Beat on low until blended and then on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour the filling over the hot crust.
- Place in the preheated 350 degrees F oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filling doesn’t jiggle.
- Cool the bars completely before dusting with confectioners sugar, then cut into bars.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY