Strawberry Custard Mary Ann Cake with Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 box vanilla pie filling, prepared according to package directions or home made pastry cream
- 1 cup strawberries, washed and sliced plus additional berries for decoration
- 1 cup whipped heavy cream, slightly sweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly butter and flour an 8 1/2 or 10 inch Mary Ann pan.
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice and eggs, one at a time. Scrape down sides of the bowl and continue beating until well combined. Mixture may look curdled, because of the lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk in 3 additions and gently combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 34 to 38 minutes or until cake springs bake when lightly pressed.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- Brush cooled cake with strawberry preserves and top with custard. Arrange strawberries in a circular pattern and cover with whipped cream. Decorate with additional berries and mint leaves. Dust edges of cake with confectioners’ sugar.