- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha chile sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, purchased or homemade
- Salt or fish sauce, to taste
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 carrot, cut into fine shreds
- In a bowl, whisk together the celery seed, sugar, chile sauce, vinegar, and mayonnaise. Add a few big pinches of salt or about 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce to taste. You want the flavor to be on the tart side so tweak the coral-colored dressing to please your palate.
- Add the cabbage and carrot, toss. If you like a crunchy slaw, serve it about 5 minutes after tossing. Or, let it sit for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop and the cabbage to wilt. Cole slaw is chameleon like so taste it again right before serving. Verify the flavors then dish it up, leaving the residual dressing in the bowl.
Recipe and Photo: Andrea Nguyen / CC BY