Recipe: Spring Ombre Layer Cake
- 4-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 2-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- Rose Icing Color
- Homemade Marshmallow Icing (Recipe is below)
- Bunnies with Jelly Beans Icing Decorations
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9 inch round pans with vegetable pan spray.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy; add extracts and beat well. Add egg whites, 2 at a time, mixing until well blended. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three additions alternately with milk, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl as needed.
- Divide batter into 4 equal portions (about 1-2/3 cups batter each). Add a small amount of icing color to one portion of batter. Add increasing amounts of color to each additional portion of batter to create shades of increasingly darker rose. Fill pans with batter.
- Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack; remove and cool completely. Wash and dry pans completely. Bake remaining batter as directed above.
- To decorate, stack layers on cake board or serving platter, filling between layers with marshmallow icing. Spoon ice cake; press icing decorations around cake into icing.
Number of servings (yield): 16
For more recipe ideas, baking tips and inspiration, visit www.wilton.com.
Recipe: Homemade Marshmallow Icing
- 3 tablespoons Meringue Powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- In large bowl, whip meringue powder and 1/2 cup cold water with electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- In medium saucepan, bring sugar, 1/3 cup water and corn syrup to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly while sugar boils rapidly for 4 minutes. With mixer on high speed, slowly pour syrup down the side of the bowl into meringue, being careful not to let syrup hit the whip or meringue mixture. Continue beating on high speed for 4 minutes. Use immediately to fill and ice cake.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of Wilton