Jump to recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth (canned)
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Cooked pasta, such as spaghetti, for serving
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and saute for 1 minute just to soften. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper, cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and thyme and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Slowly add beef broth to deglaze bottom of pan, stirring with wooden spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper. Carefully transfer mixture to slow cooker. Stir in canned tomatoes. Mix pork and sirloin together in separate bowl, using your hands, until combined.
- Stir meat into slow cooker, spreading out evenly and avoiding any large clumps. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours.
- During last two hours of cooking, add canned carrots and mushrooms to ragu. Skim accumulated grease from top before serving. Serve over pasta with crusty bread for soaking up sauce.