Roasted Banana-Ricotta Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Chopped peanuts, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bananas in medium baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar and bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bubbly and caramelized. Let cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/3 cup light brown sugar. Cut in butter, using fingertips or pastry cutter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, beat together 2 eggs, the ricotta cheese, and the roasted bananas with a handmixer until mixed. Mixture will be lumpy. Add banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir by hand until just combined
- Drop dough into 12 equal mounds on baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Brush tops with the beaten egg. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- About 5 minutes before scones come out of the oven, make the glaze. Place the peanut butter and 2 tablespoons butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- When scones come out of oven, place them on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Drizzle with the glaze. Sprinkle the tops with chopped peanuts if desired.