Jump to recipe
Rice Krispies Treats with Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Drizzle
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 16 ounce bag marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11 ½ cups crisped rice cereal
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pie pan, sprinkling a bit of sea salt, covering with aluminum foil, then placing in a larger baking dish filled halfway with water and baking at 425 for about an hour, hour and fifteen minutes.
- Stir the mixture occasionally while it bakes, and add more water if it evaporates during the process.
- You want the mixture to have a nice brown color.
- But feel free to use whatever method works for you.
- Grease a 9×13 pan, or line with parchment paper.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in large pot.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they have melted.
- Mix in salt and vanilla extract and take off heat.
- Stir rice cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture and then press into prepared pan.
- Let cool.
- Using a double boiler or microwave, carefully melt the chocolate chips with the heavy cream.
- Stir the mixture until the chocolate chips have all melted.
- Take off heat and brush onto the rice krispies.
- Drizzle the dulce de leche over the layer of chocolate.
- If feeling really indulgent, we will press half of the rice krispie mixture into the pan, then pile on a layer of chocolate and a layer of dulce de leche, then put the remaining rice krispie mixture into the pan.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY