Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Broccoli and Fusilli
- 1/2 pound (200 grams) fresh greens of choice, washed and thinly sliced (I used baby romaines this time)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound (100 grams) freshly grated parmiggiano-reggiano
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) thin chicken fillets
- 2 large eggs plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmiggiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup light olive oil for frying
Broccoli and Pasta
- 1/2 pound (200 grams) fusilli
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1-2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly grated parmiggiano-reggiano cheese
- Prepare your greens first, and set aside.
- Whisk together lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and reserve (this is your vinaigrette).
- Prepare your chicken “station.”
- Beat eggs and water in a deep plate.
- In another deep plate, combine seasoned bread crumbs, parm, salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken in egg first, then in bread crumb/parm mixture.
- Set aside on a plate.
- Repeat with remaining chicken fillets.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on one side, depending on thickness, then turn and do the same (3-4 minutes) on second side until no longer pink and nicely golden brown.
- Plate the chicken, then place a a bit of greens over each chicken breast.
- Dress with lemon pepper vinaigrette and top with extra freshly grated parm.
Broccoli and Pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, bring broccoli to a boil in salted water and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- While your pasta and broccoli are cooking, heat butter and oil in a small sauce pan and saute garlic until golden.
- Add lemon zest and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the pepper and lemon juice and stir well.
- Pour this over the broccoli and pasta.
- Add pine nuts and freshly grated parm to taste (I use a generous half cup or so).
- Toss well.
Recipe and Photo: Canarygirl