This cake has a delicate lime essence to it and when paired with fresh fruit is the perfect summer dessert. You could use Raspberries or Strawberries. I chose Strawberries for this time.
Lime Cake with Strawberry Compote
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups King Arthur Flour
- 1 cup milk
- grated rind of two limes
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2/3 cup superfine or confectioners sugar
- 1 small basket fresh strawberries, de-hulled and quartered
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Combine the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat thoroughly after each
- Add salt, baking powder and flour and milk and mix well. Mix in lime zest.
- Pour batter into 9 x 13 lightly greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes or until the top is beginning to brown and a cake tester (toothpick) comes out clean.
- Remove to cooling rack. Mix together lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Using a toothpick pierce the top
- of the cake all over. Using a brush spread the lime glaze all over the warm cake. Let it soak in and repeat with the brush until all the glaze has been absorbed by the warm cake. Sprinkle the top of the cake liberally with sparkling sugar for decoration.
Recipe and Photo: The Merlin Menu / CC BY