If you’re a mint chocolate lover, then this Mint Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream is the ice cream for you! Smooth and creamy homemade ice cream has a refreshing mint flavor and chocolate mixed through it all.
Mint Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate and 2 ounces semisweet)
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, mint leaves, sugar and a pinch of salt. Heat over medium high heat until steaming then remove from heat, cover and let steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the mint leaves using a fine mesh strainer placed over a medium mixing bowl. Press down on the mint leaves using the back of a spoon or spatula to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Return the mint flavored milk to the sauce pan and rewarm over medium high heat. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour warm milk into yolks.
- Transfer custard back to saucepan and heat over medium heat until thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir in heavy cream. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours then process in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- While ice cream is churning, place a storage container in the freezer and melt chopped chocolate in double broiler or microwave. (Alternatively, you can melt it in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.)
- Once ice cream is done churning, remove container from freezer. Drizzle melted chocolate on the bottom then layer it with ice cream, followed by more chocolate drizzle. Swirl the layers together, breaking up hardened chocolate as you