Homemade Turkey Soup
- 6 lb turkey breast with bones (with at least 2 cups meat)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- ½ tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- ½ lb Italian pastina or pasta
- Place turkey breast in large 6-quart pot.
- Cover with water until at least three quarters full.
- Peel onions, cut into large pieces, and add to pot.
- Wash celery stalks, slice, and add to pot.
- Simmer covered for about 2½ hours.
- Remove carcass from pot.
- Divide soup into smaller, shallower containers for quick cooling in refrigerator.
- After cooling, skim off fat.
- While soup cools, remove remaining meat from turkey carcass.
- Cut into pieces.
- Add turkey meat to skimmed soup, along with herbs and spices.
- Bring to boil and add pastina.
- Continue cooking on low boil for about 20 minutes, until pastina is done.
- Serve at once or refrigerate for later reheating.