Festive Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Butter Glaze
- STIR flour, cocoa, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and cinnamon in medium bowl.
- BEAT butter, sugar and molasses in large bowl. Mix in egg. Add flour mixture alternately with water, stirring just until blended. Stir in chips. Pour into 10-cup fluted tube pan that has been sprayed with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- BAKE in preheated 350°F oven 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack. Cool completely.
- PREPARE glaze by mixing ingredients in medium bowl until well blended and smooth. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon over completely cooled cake. Let stand until set.
Recipe and Photo: McCormick & Company