Jump to recipe
Deep Dish Fresh Blueberry Pie
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 8 cups fresh blueberries
- Juice of 1 orange
- Pastry dough for a large double crust pie
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large mixing bowl, toss together sugar, tapioca, blueberries and juice.
- Roll out pastry bottom on a well-floured surface to fit in pie dish. Place in the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Spoon filling into the pastry shell.
- Chill while rolling out top layer of pastry. Cut out 5 or 6 small holes in pastry top using a decorative cookie cutter. Gently roll dough onto top of pie. Crimp edges of pastry to form a tight seal and decorative trim. Brush pie with egg and milk wash.
- Bake pie on a tray for 45 to 50 minutes. The blueberry filling should be bubbly and the crust golden brown.
- Cool before serving.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Chilean Blueberry Committee