Decadent Double-Stuffed Strawberry and Chocolate Whoopie Pies in Strawberry Pools
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 (7–ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Sliced strawberries for garnish, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, 1 cup light brown sugar, the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and flour in a large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating on medium speed until combined, stopping to scrape down the sides several times.
- Drop the dough by a 1/4 cup measure ice cream or cookie scoop onto the baking sheets spacing about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they’re set and firm to the touch. Remove from oven, and cool on the pans
- Meanwhile, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla on high speed in a medium bowl until firm peaks form; set aside. In another bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese and marshmallow cream until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream, then 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries. Refrigerate until needed.
- To make the sauce, place 3 cups of chopped strawberries, 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, and the lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat just until sugar is dissolved and juices are released, 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Pour the mixture into a blender and process until smooth. Strain through a fine wire mesh strainer discarding seeds and pulp. Keep sauce refrigerated until needed.
- Spread the flat side of all the cakes with a thin layer of chocolate hazelnut topping (about 1 tablespoon). Place a large dollop of filling on half of the cakes, then top with the other half of the cakes, flat side in, pressing down slightly.
- If desired, cut a heart shape out of a piece of paper and place on the top of each cake, centering the heart in the middle. Dust with a little powdered sugar to create a heart shape decoration.
- To serve, spoon some of the strawberry sauce onto a plate creating a pool, then place a filled whoopie pie in the center. Garnish with sliced strawberries, if desired, and serve with a fork.
Heating the chocolate-hazelnut spread in the microwave for just 10-15 seconds, then stirring until smooth, makes it easier to spread on the cakes.
Recipe and Photo: Lorie’s Mississippi Kitchen / CC BY