- 1 (4 lb.) corned beef brisket
- 2 med. onions, sliced
- 1 med. onion, studded with 3 whole cloves
- 1 lg. carrot, scraped and sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs. sm. new potatoes, peeled
- 1 (2 lb.) cabbage, cut into wedges
Irish Mustard Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. water
- 1/4 c. cider vinegar (good quality)
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. freshly grated horseradish
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Combine corned beef and water to cover in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil then remove from heat. Drain. Add fresh water to cover. Add onion, carrot, parsley, bay leaf, and pepper. Bring to a boil once again, then reduce to a low simmer. Skim off foam, if necessary. Cover and simmer 4 hours or until tender.
- Remove onion and parsley. Add potatoes to Dutch oven. Simmer 10 minutes. Add cabbage wedges, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- To make the Irish Mustard Sauce, combine cornstarch, sugar, dry mustard and salt in a medium saucepan; stir well. Add water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, butter and horseradish. Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Transfer corned beef and vegetables to a serving platter. Serve with Irish Mustard Sauce.
Recipe: Foodista / CC BY
Photo: Jeff Kubina / CC BY-SA