- 3 lb. Chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 med Onion, quartered
- 1 whole clove
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 carrot, cut into 1“ pieces
- 1/4 cup Chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 cup Uncooked white rice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Wash the Chicken thoroughly.
- Remove the skin and any pieces of fat.
- Place the Chicken in a large pot with the tomatoes, Onion quarters, 1 carrot, celery leaves,bay leaf, clove, and peppercorn bundle.
- Add 10 cups cold water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off the fat and foam that rise to the surface.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, skimming often to remove the fat.
- Remove the Chicken from the broth and let cool.
- Strain the broth into a large saucepan, pressing the vegetables to extract the juices.
- Remove the bay leaf and clove.
- Pull the Chicken meat off the bones and shred or finely dice it.
- Add the rice, salt, and pepper to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced carrots and celery to the soup with the shredded Chicken and half the parsley.
- Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve at once.
Recipe and Photo: recipes.wikia.com / CC BY-SA