This Cherry-Berry Low Fat Fake Cheesecake is a delectable dessert – vanilla cheesecake with cracker crust base, mouth-watering cherry-berry topping and pure delight in every bite!
Cherry-Berry Low Fat Fake Cheesecake
This Cherry-Berry Low Fat Fake Cheesecake is a delectable dessert - vanilla cheesecake with cracker crust base, mouth-watering cherry-berry topping and pure delight in every bite!
- 6 oz pkg. cherry flavored gelatin (or two 3–oz pkgs.)
- 1 lb can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 can sour cherries
- 1 recipe Double Rich Vanilla Pudding
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp corn starch, rounded
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1¾ cups water, divided
- Bring 1½ cups of water to a boil. Add cherry gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Add cranberry sauce and stir to break up and dissolve the sauce.
- Stir until all the jelled cranberry has melted and only the cranberries remain whole.
- Drain the cherry juice into a bowl, using a non-metallic colander.
- Mush the cherries with your fingers to further drain the juice and break up the cherries into small pieces. When cherries are completely drained, add them to the gelatin/cranberry combination.
- Put the cherry juice into a two-cup measuring cup.
- Add enough ice cubes (or water) to make almost but not quite 2 cups.
- Add to the cherry-berry mix, stirring until the ice cubes are entirely melted.
- Pour into a 3-quart casserole or other dish. Chill until gelatin is set.
- Put ¼ cup of water into a glass bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the unflavored gelatin and let set for two or three minutes to soften.
- Place in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt, or heat in a small pan over medium-low heat.
- Make the vanilla pudding according to instructions, but adding an extra rounded teaspoon of cornstarch. (If you don’t use egg yolks, use two teaspoons of extra cornstarch instead of one.)
- At the end, mix in the extra ½ cup of fat-free sour cream, the melted unflavored gelatin, plus ¼ teaspoon of almond extract and remove from heat.
- Allow the pudding to cool to barely warm, stirring from time to time so a skin doesn’t form.
- Pour gently on top of the cherry-berry gelatin mixture.
- Chill thoroughly for several hours until firm, preferably overnight.
The recipe for the “Double Rich Vanilla Pudding” can be found by clicking here.
Recipe and Photo: recipes.wikia.com / CC BY-SA