- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 Tsp. ground mustard
- 1 Tsp. dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 10 oz 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté shallots and onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add broccoli, celery, spinach and potatoes. Sprinkle with mustard and thyme. Continue to sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Pour chicken stock over vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 40-60 minutes.
- In batches puree the soup in a blender. Return soup to pot and stir in shredded cheese.
- Slowly whisk in milk and return to a simmer for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY