Weeknight Ranch Chicken Sandwiches
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 3-4 dashes of Frank’s hot sauce (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- 6 thin chicken cutlets (I slice chicken breasts in half, so I get 2 cutlets per large breast)
- Vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- Slices of colby jack cheese (for serving)
- Hoagie (or other sandwich) rolls (for serving)
- Lettuce & tomato (optional – for serving)
- Combine half of the buttermilk, hot sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add in the chicken, making sure each piece is covered and coated with the mixture. Set aside to marinade for about 15 minutes. Preheat a grill pan (if you have one – I used a cast iron skillet) to medium high heat. If using a grill pan, spray lightly with nonstick spray. If using a cast iron or other type of skillet, pour about 1 tbsp. oil in the skillet and heat until shimmering. Transfer the chicken to the pan in batches, cooking about 3-4 minutes on each side, until done.
- Cover each cooked piece of chicken with cheese and set aside so the cheese has time to melt. Whisk together the rest of the buttermilk, mayo, sour cream, a generous sprinkle of salt & pepper, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar. Stir in the chives and taste to adjust seasonings and texture.
- Spread each roll with some of the ranch sauce and fill with the chicken, lettuce and tomato to serve.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY