Stuffed Zucchini with Meat and Rice
Category Side Dish
- 2 lbs medium yellow zucchinis
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup short grain rice
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups stock
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp dried mint
- Wash the zucchinis, cut off stem and hollow them with an apple corer. Wash them again and drain them.
- Wash the rice then drain it.
- Prepare the stuffing by combining the rice, the ground meat, the diced tomatoes, the salt, pinch of pepper and spices. Stuff the zucchinis with this mixture to within 1/2 inch of the top. This can leave a space for the rice during the cooking.
- Place the zucchinis in a large pot, add the stock to cover. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat, and simmer covered for around 45 mn to 1 hour. 5 minutes before the end, add 2 tbsp of tomato paste and the crushed garlic combined with the dried mint. Adjust the seasonings to your taste, and serve hot.
Recipe and Photo: Chicho’s Kitchen / CC BY