Strawberries and Cream Shortcakes
- 2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, toss together strawberries, sugar and orange zest. Cover and refrigerate until it is time to assemble the shortcakes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and rosemary.
- Add shortening. Blend with a fork or with your hands until a course mixture comes together.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla. Mix with your hands until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead gently until everything comes together and is smooth. Roll out about 1/2-inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter or cup, cut out about 9 rounds of dough. Arrange about 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, whip cream and sugar until firm.
- Cut each shortcake in half.
- Spread a teaspoon of whipped cream on the bottom layer. Arrange 3 strawberry slices and top with another teaspoon of whipped cream. Repeat this process twice. Before topping with the other half of the shortcake, drizzle each with the strawberry juice.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY