Fall in Love with Baking
(Family Features) With the chill of autumn setting in, now is the perfect time to preheat the oven and enjoy the pleasure of baking at home. Fall begins the official start of holiday baking season and Wilton has a wide selection of bakeware, decorating and party products to help you make delicious, comforting treats that will warm your home. Throughout the season of giving and sharing, home baked treats are perfect for expressing love and appreciation to family and friends.
Try these tips from Wilton and fall into the baking spirit:
- Everything old is new. Bake a fluted tube cake to share; this iconic shaped treat embodies nostalgia and comfort, making it ideal for cozy autumn gatherings.
- Harvest time. After a trip to the pumpkin patch or apple orchard, put your hard work to good use with baked goods that celebrate the flavors and shapes of the season.
- Mini treats, major thanks. Baked treats are thoughtful hostess gifts for any fall occasion. Bring mini pies or mini spiced cakes to show your gratitude – one for everyone or an array of flavors to share.
- Cornucopia of color. Celebrate fall’s rich color palette by adding pops of bright colored icing to your baked goods. Try yellow, red, orange and green to mimic the colors of changing leaves.
Try this recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Pound Cake to kick your fall baking into full gear. For more baking tips, gift inspiration and autumn recipes, including bourbon pumpkin pies, cherry streusel pies and open-face apple pies, visit www.wilton.com.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups 100 percent pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa Candy Melts Candy, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Prepare Dimensions Cascade Pan with vegetable pan spray with flour.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- In large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition; beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with pumpkin. Stir in chopped candy; mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 55-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; invert onto cooling grid and cool completely.
- For glaze, stir together confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon and milk in small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Makes about 16 servings.