Recipe for Flavorful and Healthy Brown Rice Mushroom Pilaf – I love this healthy brown rice pilaf, it’s low-fat but doesn’t skimp on flavor.
Flavorful and Healthy Brown Rice Mushroom Pilaf
I love this healthy brown rice pilaf, it’s low-fat but doesn’t skimp on flavor.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I used small-size champignons; don’t use canned mushrooms because they’re absolutely tasteless.)
- 1 tbsp unrefined sunflower oil
- 2 cups water
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/3 tsp ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chopped onion and sliced mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add brown rice and stir to coat in oil.
- Add water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let it rest until all liquid is absorbed.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY