Eggplant Fries – Glam up your bland eggplant
- 1 eggplant
- 4 slices of bread, gluten free
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Using a peeler remove the skin from the eggplant 1/4 inch strips. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly toast the bread or bake it for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice off the crust then cut it into chunks.
- Toss bread into a blender and pulse until crumbly like panko. If bread crumbs still feel damp, spread it out onto a baking sheet and bake it for 1-2 minutes to dry it out.
- Pour bread crumbs into a large bowl. Add basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle or spray cut eggplant with olive oil. Roll raw fries into panko mixture until well coated.
- Transfer fries to an aluminum lined baking sheet. Don’t overcrowd tray, leave room between the fries to allow for even cooking. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating fries at the halfway mark.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, or this Chipotle Aioli Dipping Sauce
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from www.buddhasmenu.com and www.healthyaperture.com