Easy Irish Potato Chive Bread
- 3 cups sprouted spelt flour
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 1/3 cup water or whey from making cheese (55-60 f )
- 1 tbsp local honey
- 1 red potato, diced with skins on
- 1 cup chopped chives or 4 stalks green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds, optional for topping
- Thoroughly combine flour, salt and yeast.
- Add the whey or water and honey.
- When mixed the dough will be sticky.
- Cover loosely and allow to rise in a warm environment for 12 to 18 hours.
- Dust a piece of parchment with flour and remove dough from the bowl.
- Stretch the dough and top with the stuffing ingredients (herbs, potatoes and chives) and roll up dough, then fold it back together, leaving the crease resting on the paper.
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 2 hours.
- You can either bake it in this form or twist it in to a circle and place in your cast iron pot.
- After 90 minutes of the rising time place your pot or baking stone in an oven that has been preheated to 475 f.
- When the dough finishes rising, sprinkle with seeds and carefully slide it into the hot pot or onto the stone.
- Bake 30 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY