Jump to recipe
- 6 Cucumbers
- 1/3 Carrot (70g)
- a bunch of chives or green onion (120g)
- 1/3 cup of Sea salt (6 Tbsp)
For the filling
- 5 Tbsp Chili powder
- 3 Tbsp Fish sauce (Anchovy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp minced Spring onion
- 1 Tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- Cut both ends of each cucumber. And cut it into 3 pieces.
- Give a cross cut from the cut edged top toward the bottom, but leave 1cm uncut at the bottom. Place the cucumber pieces on a large bowl.
- Boil 1 ½ liter of water ( 6cups) with 1/3 cup of sea salt (6Tbsp) to make salt water.
- Pour the salted boiling water onto the cucumber pieces. Let them sit for 40mins.
- Meanwhile, Make the filling. First, Mince the spring onion, garlic and ginger.
- Chop the chives and carrot into 0.5cm pieces.
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl.
- Add chopped chives and carrots in a bowl. Mix them well gently with your hand.
- Drain cucumber pieces in a strainer for 10-15mins.
- Open up the cross cut gently with your hand. Stuff with 1-2Tbsp filling mixture. Then rub the surface of cucumber piece with the sauce.
- Put them in a container. Let them sit in a room temperature over night and keep it in the fridge afterward. You can store it up to 2-3weeks in the fridge.
- 2-3 days later, your cucumber kimchi will be just right to eat.
Photo Courtesy of KFoodaddict on flickr / CC BY