Recipe: Chickpea Tacos
- 1 14.5 oz can chickpeas
- a lime
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- tomatoes and cilantro for serving
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas. Slice your onions nice and thin and mince your garlic.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat with a little oil in it. Put in the chickpeas and onions and a pinch of salt. You’re going to want to cook this, stirring pretty often, until the onions and chickpeas begin to brown a little. At that point, add the minced garlic and taco seasoning.
- Stir the seasoning and garlic around in the pan so that it begins to cover all the chickpeas and onions. Stir this for a couple of minutes.
- At this point, you’re going to deglaze the pan with the juice of half a lime and a tablespoon or so of water. Scrape up all the yummy spices and onions that are probably a little stuck to the bottom. 😀
- After this, the mix should be moist but not overly wet. If you’d like a more ground beef-like texture, you can use a potato masher to break the chickpeas up a little. Turn off the heat and serve!
- This is perfect with tomatoes and cilantro on tortillas
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of jessyratfink / CC BY-NC-SA