Chicken and Spinach Risotto
- 4 chicken thighs (preferably bone-in)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups / 360ml risotto (Arborio) rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 ½ cups / 850ml chicken stock
- ¼ cup / 60ml white wine
- 1 lb / 500g spinach (frozen, chopped)
- ½ cup / 120ml yogurt or kefir
- ½-1 tsp salt or to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- cocktail tomatoes and tomato juice as garnish
- Set sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and brown chicken thighs from all sides. Remove thighs and set aside.
- Add onions and salt to pan and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic (retain 1 tsp of raw garlic). Cook for a minute or two. Add rice, cook until translucent.
- In separate pan, bring chicken stock to a simmer.
- Return chicken thighs to pan with rice and onions. Slowly add hot chicken stock, stirring frequently.
- Add white wine. Simmer over low to medium heat until rice is done. Stir frequently, also turning the thighs.
- Remove chicken. Stir in chopped spinach and remaining raw garlic. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until spinach is done. In the meanwhile, bone and cut up the chicken.
- Stir in yogurt or kefir.
- Return chicken pieces to pan, heat up for a few minutes. Season risotto with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serving suggestion (as in photo): Stack risotto in the center of a plate and top with half of a cocktail tomato. Pour tomato or vegetable juice around the risotto.
Recipe and Photo: Steffen’s Dinners / CC BY-NC-ND