Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 each eggs, at room temperature
- splash vanilla extract
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup water (for “stopping” the caramelization process)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter one tall (2 – 2.5 inch deep) 9-inch cake pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth. Add sugar and salt & cream until light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour room temperature caramel syrup into bowl. Scrape down bowl and increase speed. Add eggs/vanilla extract a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down bowl again, beat mixture until light and uniform.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Turn mixer to lowest speed, and add one third of the dry ingredients. When incorporated, add half of the milk, a little at a time. Add another third of the dry ingredients, then the other half of the milk and finish with the dry ingredients.
- Take off mixer and by hand, use a spatula to do a few last folds, making sure batter is uniform. Turn batter into prepared cake pan.
- Place cake pan on cookie sheet or 1/2 sheet pan. Set first timer for 30 minutes, rotate pan and set timer for another 15-20 minutes. Your own oven will set the pace. Bake until sides pull away from the pan and skewer inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool cake completely before icing it.
Recipe and Photo: A Beautiful Mosaic / CC BY