Vegetable Quiche Made With Fresh Tomatoes Spinach Basil and Goat Cheese
- One 10–inch pie crust
- 4 eggs, 2 egg whites (6 total)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup spinach or kale, leaves only and chopped (no stems)
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup slices green onion
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F for pie crust. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Cover the bottom & top of the pie crust with aluminum foil and bake 8 minutes to allow the crust to cook. Remove foil and bake another 4 minutes. Remove from oven. The crust should be light brown on the edges when removing from the oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. During the cooking of the crust, whisk together the milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, flour and eggs in a bowl. Then add the tomatoes, spinach or kale, onion, basil, and goat cheese. Next, add the mixture to the cooked crust. Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil. Bake in the oven until the middle of the quiche is set, about 50-60 minutes. Let set 10 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY