Strawberry-Almond Cream Napoleons
- 1 sheet puff pastry, frozen
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup light whipped topping
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced California strawberries
- ? cup sliced almonds, toasted
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- 1 pint basket California strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw folded pastry sheet 20 minutes.
- Open sheet and cut along folds to make three equal strips; halve each strip to make six rectangles.
- Space apart on baking sheet.
- Bake in center of oven about 15 minutes until well browned and baked through.
- Remove to rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk pudding mix, milk and extract 2 minutes; fold in whipped topping to blend thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Carefully split each piece of pastry in half horizontally.
- Cover bottom halves with almonds, then pudding mixture and sliced strawberries, dividing equally.
- Cover with pastry tops.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with strawberry sauce (recipe follows), if desired.
- Stem and halve the strawberries and purée in blender container with granulated sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- To serve, divide sauce among 6 plates; top each with napoleon.
- Note: all components of this dessert can be prepared several hours in advance.
- Cover and refrigerate pudding mixture, strawberries and sauce.
- Assemble just before serving.
Recipe and Photo: desserts.wikia.com / CC BY-SA