Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespooons pineapple juice (I used orange juice since I used fresh pineapple!)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
for the cake:
- 2 tablespoons of butter/margarine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- can pineapple rings (or fresh pineapple!)
- maraschino cherries
for the brown sugar topping:
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in the microwave – 30 seconds should do it. Once melted, mix it well!
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients thoroughly!
- And preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Once the wet ingredients are mixed well and the dry ingredients are sifted, you can mix them together.
- Pour the dry into the wet, and mix until everything is combined and you can’t see any clumps of dry ingredients.
- Spray your muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon in a little bit of the butter/brown sugar mixture into the bottom of each cup – it ends up being a little less than a tablespoon each. Then place a maraschino cherry in the middle and surround it with bit of pineapple.
- Now you’ll spoon the batter onto the toppings.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes. Test their doneness with a toothpick – it should come out of the middle of a cupcake nice and clean!
- Once they’re done, you need to let them cool for at least 15-20 minutes, preferably on a wire rack. 🙂 If you try to take them out of the pan right away, you’ll probably lose your toppings because they’ll be too hot.
- Go around the edge of each cupcake with a butter knife to help loosen them. Then cover the muffin pan with a large plate or a cutting board and flip it over! This should let them come out nice and easy, and in one piece!