Recipe: Pickled Jalapenos
- Jar(s) and pickling lid(s) – I use Atlas Mason jars from pasta sauce, buy the lids at the grocery store.
- Vinegar; white or cider depending on your preference – I used white this time.
- Spices – I used “pickling spices” which include cinnamon, clove, and various others.
- Other veggies (optional, I highly recommend carrots and a clove or two of garlic)
- Boil the jar and lid empty to get it warm and sanitize everything before starting.
- Chop up your Jalapeños.
- Pack the peppers into the jar. (Along with other vegetables if using)
- Mix the Vinegar, Oil, Water, Salt, and Spices together in a pot. Bring the mixed ingredients to a rolling boil.
- While still hot (be careful) pour the brine into the jar. Cover all the peppers but leave a bit of space at the top.
- Place the center lid on the jar, then screw down the collar ring.
- Put the pepper filled jar back into the water bath and boil for ~10 minutes.(Do not start timing until water is at a rolling boil) Evidently the time varies based on altitude but I’m at sea level. Search the internets for more info.
- Remove jar from water, and allow to cool completely.
- Let the peppers pickle for at least 2 weeks or so, and enjoy!
For every 1 cup of vinegar use:
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon pickling spices