Recipe and Photo: Instructables / CC BY-NC-SA
- 7 apples (average sized, we used Gala)
- 1.5 cups certified gluten free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash, peel and chop your apples into small chunks, about 1 inch in size. Put them in a large bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of white sugar over them. Stir well, and then put them into a 8×8 inch glass baking dish (no need to grease it).
- In the same (dirty) bowl you just used for your apples, pour in the rolled oats, salt, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Microwave the butter and coconut oil in a glass measuring cup for 30 seconds (until just melted). Stir in the vanilla. Pour the mixture over the oats in your big bowl. Stir everything until well combined.
- Gently cover the apples with the oat mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with really good vanilla ice cream.