Mexican Mummy Dogs
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 2 extra-large flour tortillas (or more of smaller ones) or 4-6 very fresh corn torillas
- 1/2 cup canned refried beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salsa or nacho cheese dip (optional)
- 8 “6–inch” wooden skewers (optional)
- Lay out a tortilla and spread refried beans all over one side in a thin layer.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut tortilla in thin strips to make the “bandages”.
- Pick up a strip and press on the hot dog, bean side down and wind it around like a mummy, pressing the beany side onto the hot dog. Repeat with other hot dogs. Don’t worry if they are slightly messy. When they brown, you won’t really notice it.
- Heat butter in a non-stick skillet and brown hot dogs on all sides until crisp, turning gently. (If a piece of bandage comes loose, use a little bit of beans to stick it back down, like glue)
- Carefully insert a wooden skewer into one end.
- Serve mummy dogs with salsa or warm nacho cheese dip.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY