Krautsalat – German Cole Slaw
- 1 green cabbage (800g)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 oz / 100g bacon, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup / 250ml beef stock
- ½ cup / 125ml white wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- radish and parsley for garnish
- Remove outer leaves from cabbage. Cut into quarters, cut out white trunk. Slice cabbage into very thin shreds.
- Set large heavy pan over medium-high heat. Melt butter and add the bacon and caraway seeds. Cook until the bacon starts to brown. Add sugar, cook until lightly browned.
- Add onion, cook until softened and translucent. Add cabbage, stir to coat well with the fat. Add salt.
- Add beef stock and white wine vinegar. Cover and bring liquid to a boil, cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add vinegar, stir well, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let cool and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, better overnight.
- Before serving, check seasoning, add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with sliced radish and parsley.
Recipe and Photo: Steffen’s Dinners / CC BY-NC-ND