Grilled Coconut Wings with Thai Sauce
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 20 chicken wings, jointed
- Thai Peanut Sauce, recipe follows:
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus more to taste
- 2 fresh Thai chiles or other small chiles
- 1 1/2–inch-thick slice fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch salt (add to taste– fish sauce can be very salty)
- 1/2 cup finely minced cilantro leaves and stems
- Using a food processor, grind ingredients into a paste the consistency of thin yogurt. Set aside a small amount for basting and transfer the remaining marinade to a glass bowl.
- Add the trimmed chicken wings to the marinade and toss liberally, making sure each wing is fully coated. Cover with plastic wrap and marinade overnight.
Grilling the wings:
- Shake off excess marinade and grill the wings over medium heat for 5 minutes per side, or until crispy. Brush each wing with the reserved marinade. Be careful not to burn the wing tips.
- Serve with Thai Peanut Sauce.
Thai Peanut Sauce:
- Add peanuts and peanut oil to a food processor. Blend on high until the peanuts form a rough paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients (Except cilantro) and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cilantro and thin with peanut oil according to your taste.
- Serve on the side with chicken wings.
Recipe and Photo: familyrecipes.wikia.com / CC BY-SA