Turn to Your Pantry for Mealtime Inspiration
(Family Features) More and more Americans are turning to their pantry for mealtime inspiration. In fact, most Americans don’t go a week without using canned foods, and more often than not, a home cooked meal means cooking with canned ingredients.
There’s no question that cans help save time and get a delicious, wholesome and affordable meal on the table. Yet, according to a recent study conducted by Wakefield Research, 68 percent of Americans say they are in need of canned food recipes. With ingredients like canned pumpkin, tomatoes, beans and canned chicken in your pantry – or “Cantry” – easy, homemade meals are just a can away.
These delicious dishes are just a few ideas of what can be created with the bounty available to you inside your Cantry, any time of year.
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- 2 (6-ounce) packages long-grain and wild rice blend with seasonings
- 1 (10-ounce) can HORMEL Chunk Breast of Chicken, drained and flaked
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup HORMEL Real Bacon Pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2-quart casserole.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In large bowl, combine rice, chicken, soups, mushrooms, celery, bacon pieces and pepper. Transfer rice mixture to casserole. Bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, almonds and butter; mix well. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
under 30 min
Pumpkin Chili Mexicana
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Red Gold diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 (15-ounce) can Muir Glen tomato sauce
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can Allens dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can Old El Paso green chiles, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned whole-kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add turkey; cook until browned. Drain.
- Add tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Can Manufacturers Institute