Cheesy Arroz con Pollo – Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 3 Chicken Breasts, Cubed
- 2 teaspoons of Cumin
- 2 teaspoons of Coriander
- 5 1/2 teaspoons of Turmeric
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Pepper, Chopped
- 1 can of Diced Chiles
- 1 can of Diced Tomatoes
- 4 cups of Chicken Broth
- 1 cup of Dried Rice
- 1 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheese
- Start out by heating up a large pan on medium heat and melting your butter. Add in your garlic and give it a minute or two to cook up.
- Sprinkle your chicken with about 1 tsp of the cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Throw it in the pan and cook it up.
- Once your chicken is fully cooked, go ahead and add in your diced onion and pepper.
- Cook it all up for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in your chiles and tomatoes.
- Swirl it around once or twice and add in your broth. Now add in your rice.
- Finally, add in the remaining tsp of chili powder, cumin, and coriander, the salt, the remaining 1/2 tsp of turmeric and the onion powder.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then turn down the heat to low and cover. Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Grab your shredded cheese and spread it across the top of the chicken mixture. Cover for another minute or two and allow your cheese to melt completely.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY