We are coming to the end of 2013. With that in mind, we are going to share the recipes that we posted over the year that got the most love. We will feature one recipe each day, and count them down. Which recipe came in at number one? Hit our site up on January 1st for the answer to that question (But don’t ignore the rest of the list…as this is the best of our best for this year!).
Recipe: Canning Tomatoes
- Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute, and then dunk them in an ice bath. Doing this makes the tomatoes a cinch to peel — the skins just slide right off.
- Sterilize your jars and lids in boiling water.
- Cut off the stems and dice the tomatoes.
- Bring the diced tomatoes to a boil.
- Pour the tomatoes in the jars. Run a knife along the inside of each jar to get rid of air pockets.
- Add a little salt. (This was a tip from Zach’s granny. We’re not sure what it does, but we’re in no position to argue.)
- Put the lids on the jars.
- Boil the full jars in water for 45 minutes to seal the lids.
- Remove from water and cover with a towel. (Another tip from Granny — she says it’s important to keep the jars from cooling too quickly.)