Beer Batter Onion Rings – This is a simple basic recipe that makes for an extremely light coating on the onions…YUM!
- 2 or 3 large Walla Walla Sweets or Vidalia onions, peeled, and sliced and separated
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- dash of pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 cup of beer (a dark beer is best, I use Beck’s Dark, but Guinness would work also)
- Thousand Island dressing for dipping
- Beat eggs well. Add pepper, baking powder, oil, and seasoning salt and mix well. Add beer and flour and mix thoroughly. Place in refrigerator and let chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to approximately 370 degrees.
- Dip onion ring in batter, drain a bit and immediately add to hot oil. Repeat with other rings
- but leave plenty of room, don’t crowd the cooking process. Let cook, attended, until one side is puffed and golden, turn and cook until golden on the other side. Immediately drain on paper towels. Repeat with all onion rings, giving a few minutes in between batches to allow oil to reach proper temperature again.
Recipe and Photo: The Merlin Menu / CC BY