Recipe: Avocado Citrus Salad with Marinated Onions
- Marinated Onions (recipe below)
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and skin removed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced, seeds removed
- Endive and/or small romaine lettuce spears
- Grate 2 teaspoons of orange peel. Combine orange peel, oil, vinegar, and honey in a small jar with a lid. Pare and slice oranges; remove seeds. Slice avocado.
- For each serving, arrange endive and/or romaine leaves in a spoke-fashion on individual plates. Portion oranges, avocado and grapefruit pieces onto the center spokes of endive and/or romaine. Lift Marinated Onions from liquid with a fork and transfer to the top of each salad. Drizzle with dressing before serving.
Marinated Onions: Peel and thinly slice 1 medium red onion. Combine 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/4 cup water in jar with tight lid; shake until well blended. Add onions to the jar. Shake jar to coat onions in liquid, then refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours. If necessary, shake the jar 2-3 times during the 6 hours to be sure the onions marinade evenly.
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association