Herb Roasted Chicken and Stuffing
- 1 roasting chicken, washed and patted dry (about 3 pounds/ 1 1/2 kilos)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 larger onion
- 2-3 ribs celery
- 1/2 pound (200 grams) ground pork
- 3 cups croutons
- about 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- thyme, rubbed sage, garlic powder and oregano to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/175ºC.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and sautee garlic until just golden.
- Add onion and celery and sautee until translucent, then add in pork and season with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Brown pork and vegetables, stirring constantly, breaking the meat into small bits.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add broth and croutons and stir to combine.
- Adjust seasonings and herbs.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing (you will probably have some left over…this can be placed in an oven proof dish with a lid and baked along with the chicken).
- Place chicken in a baking dish/roaster with a lid.
- Rub with butter or oil, and season with salt, pepper, herbs and garlic powder.
- Cover chicken and bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until done (legs will pull away easily), basting occasionally.