Fire Roasted Salsa Chicken with Fritos
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 4 chicken breasts sliced lengthwise into thin cutlets
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 cans Hunt’s fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 cup corn
for serving –
- 8 snack sized bags of Fritos Corn Chips
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill pan to medium high heat. In a small bowl, combine the the 2 teaspoons each of cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder along with the salt. Rub chicken with olive oil, squeeze lime juice over it and then rub with the spice mixture. Grill the chicken for about 3 – 4 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Remove from grill and shred into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 8 – 10 minutes or until the onions are softened and beginning to lightly brown. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, and hot sauce. Stir to combine and continue cooking for 4 – 5 minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in the shredded chicken and corn and heat through.
- To serve, cut each snack sized Frito bag open like a book. Top chips with a generous amount of the salsa chicken, a dollop of sour cream, and some of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro. Dig in!
Recipe and Photo: Dinners for a Year and Beyond / CC BY-NC