Coconut Palm Sugar Squares
- 1 can coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- sugar to taste
- 2 package of agar-agar (non flavored)
- 1/4 cup shaved palm sugar ( add more if like sweet) or brown sugar if you can not find palm sugar
- 1 young coconut (meat, slice)
- In a pot, prepare 1 package of agar-agar, following package instructions.
- Once at a boil, add the shaved palm sugar.
- Prepare a square 5″ height glass pan, pour in the palm sugar agar-agar mixture, add coconut meat.
- Let it cool until almost set.
- In another pot, prepare another package of agar-agar. Replace the water in this batch with the coconut milk. If you need to, add water until you have 3 cups of fluid.
- Add sugar to taste, bring to boil and add pinch of salt.
- Remove from heat, and let cool a small bit. Pour on top of palm sugar mixture.
- Allow everything to cool completely, then move to the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, until everything is completely firm.
- Serve cold.
Recipe adapted from and photo credit: marykal77 on nibbledish / CC BY-SA