Buttermilk Drop Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar, for sweet scones only
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar, if making sweet scones. Add any additions such as dried fruit or herbs at this point.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg and oil in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add buttermilk to dry mixture and stir until just blended. The dough should be sticky.
- Drop batter on to a parchment paper lined baking sheet using an ice cream scoop or heaped tablespoons.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 F for 15 minutes, until scones have turned a golden brown.
- Serve warm scones with butter, jam and whipped cream, or grated cheese for the savory scones.
To make different flavors, try adding any of the following: raisins, dried cranberries, dried lavender, lemon zest, fresh rosemary leaves, fresh thyme leaves, grated cheese